Monday, January 19, 2009

"The Things We've Handed Down...."

I'm a lyrics girl...and the words of this particular song, written and gracefully shared by the lovely Marc Cohn, are ones that strike the chords of my heart in all kinds of ways. It's the story of generations, and generations yet to come--touching on the hard and sweet facts of the relationships we form throughout these generations. It is written from the perspective of the elder generation, from the heart of one with a more advanced time at life, and probably with good reason. I'd like to think it's because there is more experience, more wisdom, and a bit more grace to be shared by them as a result of this advanced time. And that is why, as long as I am able, I will never stop probing into the memories of my grandparents. There will always be a young girl inside of me itching to hear stories of when they were small, when my parents were small, when I was small. I will forever cherish the hours spent in their living rooms just listening to them talk, and for a moment drifting back to those places with them.

Some of my favorite words of the song....

And these things that we have given you
They are not so easily found
But you can thank us later
For the things we've handed down

I'm blessed to still have a few grandparents around who continue handing things down. As well as two sets of "acquired" grandparents (thank you, step-parents!) whom I love and respect as much as my own. I don't think I will wait and thank them later....I will thank them today. For their words of advice, for the sharing of their faith, for their encouragement, for the love and the laughter they constantly ignite.

A few of these cherished people recently let me take some snapshots of them! :)


Papa Crawford


Mimi


Pop-Pop Kiss....

(who was having some camera fun of his own!)

No comments:

Post a Comment