Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Closets and Camera Bags

One of my favorite things to do as a child was rummage through our home closets. It managed to entertain me for hours on end. I would sit directly in front of a closet and just empty out it's belongings--admiring each piece on it's way out, and then admiring it once again on it's way back in. It's kind of funny because nothing about the closet ever seemed to change from one visit to the next, yet I continually returned. I think that is partly why I loved it so much--the fact that I could always count on finding the same familiar and comforting things.

In one particular closet was my Dad's camera bag. I loved that camera bag. It was filled with all sorts of things I knew nothing about, but I loved them just the same. I enjoyed holding the camera, messing around with all its movable parts, and putting the camera strap around my neck. I especially loved the camera strap. A funky design of yellow and black--(kind of a wild camera strap for a Baptist preacher, if you ask me!!)

Years later, on a vacation to Yellowstone National Park, my Dad let me wear that camera strap. He taught me how to use all of those movable parts, and I realized an even greater enjoyment in holding that camera. I think that is where my love for photography first began. I will forever thank him for sharing his love of photography with me--and I thank him for continuing to share with me in it today. Just this last year we took a road trip to yet another National Park, enjoying a little photographic journey through Yosemite. Today being his birthday, I thought a few of the pictures from our trip would be a sweet present to share with him and all of you...

Happy Birthday, Dad!! I love you, and appreciate you for so much more than photography...













No comments:

Post a Comment